Your browser doesn't support javascript.

Portal Regional da BVS

Informação e Conhecimento para a Saúde

Home > Pesquisa > ()
XML
Imprimir Exportar

Formato de exportação:

Exportar

Email
Adicionar mais destinatários
| |

Behandlung rezidivierender Epistaxis durch Gefäßligatur: zeitgerecht oder überholt? / [Treatment of recurrent epistaxis by artery ligation: up to date or old fashioned?].

Laryngorhinootologie; 93(10): 665-70, 2014 Oct.
Artigo em Alemão | MEDLINE | ID: mdl-24967825
UNLABELLED: Treatment of Recurrent Epistaxis by Artery Ligation: Up to Date or Old Fashioned? BACKGROUND: Despite the ongoing development in the field of endoscopic treatment techniques, recurrent epistaxis remains a challenge for otolaryngologists. The aim of the present study was to compare our own results of various interventions for the treatment of recurrent epistaxis.

MATERIALS AND METHODS:

From 2007 to 2013 we performed surgical treatment of recurrent epistaxis under general anaesthesia in 148 cases. While the majority of causes were idiopathic (n=98), epistaxis also occurred postoperatively (n=30), post-traumatically (n=7) or as a result of M. Osler (n=12). In 141/148 cases the treatment was performed by mono- or bipolar coagulation in the area of the bleeding source - this required an ethmoidectomy in 17 cases. In 19 cases the intervention was combined with a septoplasty. In 4 patients with recurrent bleeding of unknown origin, where electrocoagulation under general anaesthesia failed, we performed a clipping of the ethmoid- and/or the maxillary arteries in the pterygopalatine fossa. Following this intervention no further bleeding episodes occured. In further 3 patients, neuroradiological embolization was successfully performed.

CONCLUSION:

If conservative measures fail in the treatment of epistaxis, surgical treatment by electrocoagulation of the bleeding site under general anaesthesia is an effective intervention in 95% of cases. However for the remaining 5% where these measures have been proven to be ineffective, clipping of the ipsilateral anterior and posterior ethmoid- and/or the maxillar artery provides a treatment option being equally efficient as neuroradiological interventions.