Your browser doesn't support javascript.
A Biblioteca Cochrane foi excluída da BVS por decisão da Wiley de não renovação da licença de uso com a BIREME. Saiba mais.

BVS Odontologia

Informação e Conhecimento para a Saúde

Home > Pesquisa > ()
Imprimir Exportar

Formato de exportação:

Exportar

Email
Adicionar mais destinatários
| |

Oral health in Florida nursing homes.

Murray, P E; Ede-Nichols, D; Garcia-Godoy, F.
Int J Dent Hyg; 4(4): 198-203, 2006 Nov.
Artigo em Inglês | MEDLINE | ID: mdl-17038058

OBJECTIVES:

The purpose of this study was to measure the oral health and hygiene status among 265 South Florida nursing home residents aged between 45 and 98 years.

METHODS:

The oral health and hygiene status of the residents were assessed by noting the presence of calculus, caries, gingivitis, cheilitis, apthous ulcer, dry mouth and red or white lesions.

RESULTS:

The incidence of nursing home residents with calculus was 79.6% and the remaining 20.4% were edentulous. More than half of residents had oral problems (50.6%) the commonest was gingivitis (36.6%), followed by caries (26%) and tooth fracture (15.9%). Almost half the residents wore dentures (47.2%). Statistical analysis was conducted using analysis of variance (P-values). Ageing of the residents was statistically correlated to a worsening of oral hygiene status (P<0.0066), absence and presence of one or two dentures (P<0.0034) and a loss of teeth (P<0.0001).

CONCLUSIONS:

The ageing of residents is correlated to increasing oral health problems and the loss of teeth. Oral health neglect affects almost all of the nursing home residents. Care providers should receive education and training from dental hygienists to improve the standard of oral hygiene and health of the elderly.